Friday, April 27, 2012

Rest

Muslim holy day, as well as national holiday (anniversary of the end of the Russian occupation), which means a very quiet Kabul. Our team began the day as we have every day...in the Word and in prayer.

We spent four hours in worship - singing, praying, sharing insight with one another through various readings. We also had some spontaneous moments rallying around those hurting through some serious emotional battles. Shared tears, laughs and quiet moments in reflection all included. Let me say this very simply - I am part of a truly great team of men. All gifted uniquely and all passionate about serving. It's an honor.

We ventured out with our host leaders to the Intercontinental Hotel for tea and coffee. It's situated in a great spot and although the clouds interfered, we did get to see some of the peaks of the Hindu Kush Range. 24,000 ft mountains are something to behold. The Afghans are working hard to remodel portions of the hotel after last years' attacks. Yet another sign of hope and determination.

On a personal note, I am working hard to process what I've been exposed to thus far. It's not easy for a guy who processes routine, daily matters a bit obsessively. These complex dynamics of social, physical, spiritual and emotional dichotomies in Afghanistan have my brain in overdrive, resulting in limited sleep. I often feel sadness, joy, anger and peace all at the same time. I'm exhausted and have only been here one week. How deeply the Afghans deal with this on a  permanent basis, I will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment